Monday 30 May 2011

19 days to go...

With under 3 weeks to go, things are coming together for our trip stateside for the 24 Hours in the Enchanted Forest.

Flights - check
Hotels - check
Car rental - check
Swag - check
Dollars - still to do
Bicycles - er, therein lies a story...

At the start of 2011, my choice of bike was clear - I would be using my Scott Scale Contessa, Mary, my carbon hardtail. This was thrown into disarray following a trip to Bedgebury for a demo day where I tried 3 different 29er bikes. I found the 29er suited my style of riiding and gave me added confidence when riding over rough terrain. Although I had tried the Giant XTC 29er, a bit of research revealed that Scott made a similar spec'd bike, they even had a carbon version. The hunt was on. Scott had vastly underestimated the demand for their Scale 29er Pro and it was impossible to find one in the right size - more acurately, any size. I decided to go for the Elite model - decision made. Or so I thought.
@QuestAdventure tweeted and Facebooked to announce that they would be getting 2 Scale 29er Pros in. I called the shop and before I knew it, I had upgraded. The carbon bike rode like a dream. I was left with 6 weeks to get used to a new set of wheels (which I have done). And I need to think of a new name.

BeerBikers bike choice was already sorted. Last year he acquired a Giant XTC2 carbon frame (The Frame with no Name) which he built up using parts from a previous bike. It was aptly named 'the Bike with No Name' (I call it Clint). It is now sporting some new 'bling' following it's final service before the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment